Growing plums in pots is a great idea for small gardens or those who want to start gardening. Plums are fragrant and delicious, so it’s no wonder that people want to plant them. This article will tell you how to do just that!
How to plant plum in a pot
If you want to grow a plum tree from a seed, that’s not as hard as you might think. Before planting a plum seed, there are a few steps to follow so that it grows successfully:
Get a quality seed
- Before you start planting, it’s important to choose a quality seed. It must be of good quality- the best way to know that the plant will grow into a delicious fruit is by trying it before you plant it.
- We recommend that you try a couple of plums and figure out which ones you like the most before reserving one. We must take care to only purchase organic plums, since many times the produce at grocery stores is from plants heavily treated with pesticides for faster growth.
- For the next 3 days, we’ll keep the bone or pit in a place where it receives sunlight and air. This will make it much easier to remove the seed inside the pit.
- We will open up the seed packet with a hammer with care so as not to damage the seed. If it breaks, it’s unusable for planting.
Germinate the seed
- In order to make the seed work, we have to prepare it. To do this, we fill a glass with water and put it there if we see that the seed floats, it won’t work. But if we see that the seed sinks, then it’s the one for us. We will leave it resting on it for 24 hours.
- To start, we will place a little organic substrate in a small container, moisten it and place the seed. We’ll cover it with a thin layer of substrate, then put this container inside a small plastic bag and seal it to keep out any air.
- We must be patient with our plums, as it will take them about 4 weeks to germinate. Our best option for nurturing the seedlings is to place them in the refrigerator and keep them in the darkness and away from the cold.
- When you store seeds in the refrigerator, they’ll be able to germinate much more easily.
Plant the seed
- First, we will notice that our seed has sprouted. After it has germinated, it will be time to choose the right pot in which we will plant our seed. This must be wide and allow water to drain effectively.
- We’ll fill 3/4 of the pot with organic substrate, mixed with earthworm humus, if possible. We’ll use our finger to make a small hole, and carefully place your germinated seed in it. We’ll cover the seed with a thin layer of substrate.
- The last step for our seed to grow is placing it in the right spot. It needs to be in a location where it receives direct sunlight and doesn’t get too much wind.
With the right pot and a little bit of care, you can successfully grow plums in a pot. By following our tips, you can enjoy fresh plums right from your own backyard. What are you waiting for? Give it a try today!